What a n00b!

Upgrading Zimbra Server from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04

This last week Zimbra released its new version 6.0.8 which is the first version that supports Ubuntu 10.04 (still in beta, but package was released). Being a sucker for upgrades, I decided to give it a try tonight and upgrade my Zimbra server. The upgrade actually went pretty smooth, despite the fact that I've had bad luck with Ubuntu distro upgrades in the past.

To start, I had a server at Zimbra 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit). I upgraded Ubuntu to 10.04 first and then Zimbra to 6.0.8.

The upgrade for Ubuntu is pretty straightforward and is outlined in their docs. Basically, make sure the install manager is up-to-date:

sudo apt-get install update-manager-core

Then, make sure Prompt is set to "lts" in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades. (These two steps weren't necessary for me and I didn't do that on purpose, so it's likely they are ok 'out of the box')

Then, perform the upgrade:

sudo do-release-upgrade

I did mine from an SSH session (gives a warning and starts another SSH server on an alternate port, but I didn't have to worry about that). When the upgrader prompted, I took the defaults except for /etc/pam.d/common-*.

Once your new Ubuntu 10.04 server is up and running, we have to grab an additional dependency:

sudo apt-get install libperl5.10

I then just ran the install like normal, but skipped the integrity checks. The first time I let them run and hit this error:

perl: symbol lookup error: /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi/auto/Data/UUID/UUID.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

The second time I just skipped the integrity check and everything went as normal.

I lost a few settings, the same as the 6.0.7 upgrade :(. I wrote about them last time here. I also lost my zimbraMailMode setting again, same thing as the upgrade to 6.0.7.

After the settings were back, I noticed mail wouldn't send out properly. /var/log/zimbra.log complained of the antivirus scanner being unavailable. A run of 'zmcontrol status' showed that clamd wasn't running. When I tried to start the antivirus, it failed on starting clamd, showing this in /opt/zimbra/log/clamd.log:

/opt/zimbra/clamav/sbin/clamd: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Turns out it's easy enough to fix:

apt-get install libltdl7

A restart of zmantivirusctl and all was good. (update: submitted bug for this)


Comments powered by Disqus